Sunday, February 04, 2007

Am I dreaming?

To start this off I have to tell you that I am knocking on wood as I type this. My youngest son Sal made leaps in bounds in our bedtime routine this week. I won't complain too much because I have had it pretty good I know but I have experienced my share of sleep issues with this child. It took me one year to get him to nap anywhere but on me. For a year he napped one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon in my lap. After that he napped in his crib twice a day until a few months ago and then he cut out the morning nap and stuck to a one hour afternoon nap still in his crib though.

I have always been lucky with both kids getting them to go to sleep at night. Enzo went to bed at 7pm as a baby and slept through the night always. Sal also goes down no problem at 7pm but he has been night waker for the past twenty months. My bed time routine has consisted of the following:
1. bath and or get in pjs.
2. read books in his room
3. shut off light
4. walk around room & rock in chair while singing songs until he falls asleep
5. put in crib once asleep

Sometimes he would go right down, other times I have to pick him up and repeat the walking around and singing a few times.

This week however he threw me for a HUGE loop. Three days ago I was putting him to bed. We read books, I shut out the light and said "ok now we will rock and sing some songs". Before I could even sit in the rocking chair he said "bed". My response was "what?" Again he repeated "bed". I said "You want to go in your bed?" He said "yes". Then I said "are you sure you don't want to sing any songs?" His response was "bed".

So I put him in his crib, kissed him good night and walked out the door. I went downstairs in complete bewilderment. This has now gone on for three days. I am sure it won't last but I will hold out hope that our bedtime routine is just finally sinking in and he feels so comfortable that he is now ok going to sleep on his own.

It felt so freeing but also a bit sad at the same time. One small step in his growing independence.

1 comment:

Nuclear Mom said...

Love that! Leif has always had sleep issues. A few weeks ago after stories we started putting him in bed, telling him we will be back to check on him in 10 minutes and then leaving. The kid sleeps!

I am convinced he was working to stay awake and entertain us in his room. Without us right there, he falls asleep, sleeps through the night and wakes up happy.

It is hard seeing that he doesn't need me there, but wow do I love that extra hour (or so) in the evening.