Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Just make it happen

When I was in high school in NH back in the late 80's early 90's Martin Luther King day was not celebrated. There was no day off from school or work. We didn't do much of anything to honor the day at all. One year on MLK day when I was junior or senior, a group of students including myself decided to hold a sit in to protest the fact that the school did not recognize the holiday. We skipped classes all morning and sat outside of the administration offices. By afternoon the administration decided to listen to what we had to say. They asked us to move into the library and gave us the chance to speak. Students stood up and spoke about why they thought the day was important and should be recognized. Some spoke from the heart and some read passages from books. I stood up and read a poem I had written. The school decided to listen to us and from that point on they held an assembly every year with speakers to honor the day.

Now the school has the day off as does most in the country but I can't help to feel a bit proud that a group of us decided to speak our voices and stand up for what we believed in. I was reminded of this event yesterday as the country celebrated Martin Luther King day and today as President Obama spoke to the American people about hope, change, and how it takes all of us to stand up unafraid and make that change.

I am sure I speak for so many people when I say that today was truly an inspirational day. I haven't felt this kind of pride for my country in a long time.

My 7 year old son watched the inauguration in school today. When I picked him up he said "Do you know what my favorite part was mommy? His speech. He is a really good speaker."

He might not fully understand the magnitude of today but I feel he walked away with a piece of something. I wish for him a better world. I hope we can all work together to make it one.

"We will extend our hand, if you are willing to unclench your fist" -President Obama

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Well-said! What a great story. Just linked over from your intro post on Mamaphonic (I'm geminimama over there, due to my zine title, Gemini, aka the twins)...My boys are the same ages as yours and I also live in the snowy north (Maine)...looking forward to reading more!

rockergirrl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rockergirrl said...

Thanks for the feedback Anrdea. I am excited to get involved with Mamaphonic more. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Andrea said...

Hey! I just noticed that my blog's on your list! Thanks!

rockergirrl said...

yeah I just added it. I'm glad I found it.