Sunday, December 28, 2008

Holiday unwrap






Highlights of Christmas day:
*Enzo got an Irish whistle from his Aunt Catherine
*Sal ate ham for the first time ever (he has been a vegetarian his whole life - tried turkey on Thanksgiving but said it tasted like air).
*Sal got a new hand knitted sweater from his Alaskan grandmother
*Enzo got a new lovey.

My parents couldn't make it for Christmas as planned. First the weather and then health issues with my mom. We did share a wonderful feast with John's Aunt and Uncle who also live in VT. We enjoyed sweet potato strudel, baked ham (yuck), stuffing, rolls, veggies, and John's famous pecan pie for dessert. I missed my parents being with us but we had a good time anyway.

Two days before Christmas we took down our real Christmas tree and put up our fake one. We have had a fake one for the past two years because of a suspicion that I am allergic to them. This year I begged to get a real one so we gave in and tried it. Ironically enough the week we put up the tree my headaches started to get worse than normal and in general I started to feel awful. After a trip to my doctor who then sent me to my chiropractor the day before Christmas Eve, I came home and announced we were taking it down. While unwrapping the lights I broke out in hives on my hands so I think my suspicion was right. Needless to say the kids loved putting together the fake tree and decorating for the second time. As sad as I am to admit it I must let go of having a real tree for the holidays.

I love the holidays but even as hard as I fight it the stress sneaks in. For me it is the pressure that gets to me. Pressure to have my children experience the same excitement I felt as a child and pressure to have everyone stay healthy so they can enjoy the day to the fullest. I know these are both beyond my control and the best way for me to stay healthy is to try and let go a little bit and let it be. Yeah right - we'll see how well that goes next year.

happy holidays to you all!

No comments: