Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Heavy head/Sad heart

I am now writing from my parents house where I am staying for a week. Saturday we were packing up to leave on Sunday and my headache got so bad I ended up having to go to a Saturday clinic to be seen. Come to find out what I have been treating as an ongoing sinus issue is actually a migraine I have been suffering from for a month now. The Dr told me to take mega dose of Advil several times a day with some caffeine. I had a good day on Sunday as we traveled to my parents house but once Monday came I was so sick again we ended up at another Dr's office and then to the ER for lab work. She agreed it was probably migraines but wanted me to have some blood work done to double check. So I ended up having to take some pain meds last night to get to sleep. Today I will get the results of the bloodwork back.

I am fed up. I have been half living for the past month. Enzo has watched more tv in the past month then he has in his 4 1/2 years because Mama can't drive anywhere because her head hurts so much. I need to get better. I need to be able to take care of my family again.

My theory is that a lot of this is hormone related. I have had migraines before and I certainly have a family history of them. I used to keep a headache diary because ironically enough the last time this happened to me this severe was just about the same time (9 or 10 months) postpartum with Enzo. I was in that time frame post partum with Sal when all of this started. Because I am nursing my menstrual cycle has not started back yet. I believe it is going to soon and the hormones are causing these headaches. Hormonal headaches are real. Many women suffer from them every month. I think there is a real cause to have a later postpartum check up with women. Especially if they are nursing past 6 months. We have our babies, go to a 6 week postpartum check up and then that is that. Months later when we think our bodies should be back to normal and feeling great we are hit with a ton of bricks and are left to wonder why. I have read that many women might not even get hit with postpartum depression until later in that first year.

I am going to make it my mission to research this in more detail. Luckily it goes right along with my current childbirth education classes. I look forward to learning more about it and hopefully teaching others.

The other sad part of this is that I will probably have to stop nursing. Sal is almost a year so at least I have made it this far. I know he will be fine but I wish it didn't have to end under these circumstances. So far the meds I am taking are compatible but I have to be ready for it to come to close soon.

3 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

Oh how awful. Hans gets horrible migraines and takes Imitrex for them. He was so hesitant to take anything for a long time. Now that he takes Imitrex as needed he can't believe he bucked the idea for so long. Life, for all of us, is much better now.

The end of nursing is a sad time. I loved nursing Leif, he self-weaned at about 13 months. And you are so right, the vast majority of my body changes occurred about the same time he weaned. My hair was falling out, I lost weight... I am positive (after the fact) that my thyroid was messed up due to the hormonal changes.

Anyways, I really hope you can get something to help the migraines and that it doesn't have to come at the expense of nursing if you want to continue.

Forest said...

Hey Sweetheart! I'm so sorry to hear you have been unwell, I wish I had known you were up I would have offered to take the Boys out for an hour or so. I am still coming up probably on the 19th, we'll have an early B-Day celebration! I like your blog!

Amanda said...

Do you see a chiropractor regularly? Chiropractic can really help... if you are not properly aligned, especially your neck, it can really cause a lot of discomfort in your head. It is a great alternative to taking medications.