Monday, May 08, 2006

Napping house

Sal has never napped anywhere but in my arms until this week. He is one week shy of turning a year old. I tried almost everything but could not get him to nap in his crib. He would fall asleep nursing and I was not able to transfer him. He went down fine at bedtime so after finally listening to my gut I decided to just let him nap on me. People were horrified. They felt so bad for me. It was kind of funny to hear reactions from people. Like it was such a damaging thing to have my child sleep in my arms.

Yes at first it would have been nice to get a few things done if he would have gone in his crib. Once I was able to let go of trying so hard and just let it be we settled into a nice routine. The first reason I loved it was because it was honestly the only two times in my entire day I was allowed to sit down for that long. Each day I knew I had an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon to put my feet up and relax. Enzo doesn't nap but he would take some quiet time to do other things during this time too. The second reason that made it ok for me was that my gut said it was fine. In my heart I knew my baby just needed a little extra love and comfort. I think people forget too easily that babies need to be babies. We rush them the second they come out of our bodies. We rush them to be independent from us, we rush them to sit, walk and eat. The next thing we know they are grown and we crave those baby moments again. I simply chose to hold on a bit longer, listen to my babies needs and trust he will let me know when he is ready.

That time came this week. Like magic the boy sleeps in his crib twice a day for naps. He has been slowly weaning a bit at the same time. The day time nursing has been cut way down (by him) and with this came these new nap routines. I now just rock him in my arms to sleep and put him in his crib. We are going a week now and I am loving it. I can now enjoy this bit of time I get to have with Enzo knowing I gave Sal the extra love he needed until he felt he was ready.

No comments: