Friday, November 14, 2008

delizioso!


I have recently been trying to cut back on the fake meat soy products in an attempt to cut back on processed soy. I am not a nutritionist but I know enough about the topic to agree with some of the recent articles regarding our now over consumption of processed soy products. Soy became the next craze and now you can't get away from it. Recently I found soy listed as an ingredient in several Celestial Season teas. In my opinion you eat it in moderation as you should with everything. Try to stick to the least processed versions. Tofu, tempeh, miso and soymilk, in my opinion are the safest bets. Just limit how much of them you eat. What I would avoid or seriously limit are all of the fake "meat" products out there. If you flip over the box of the most mainstream brands you will find soy protein isolates as one of the main ingredient. Soy protein isolates have been in the news lately. Do some research.

I have been a vegetarian for 16 years now and cooking has become a passion of mine. I have come a long way from the pasta and bagels with cheese I used to live on when I first turned my back on meat in college. In becoming a vegetarian I also migrated towards natural cooking. Starting a family 7 years ago also forced me to stretch my culinary passion even further in the attempt to feed my family whole foods as much as possible.

Lately I have been trying to cut some soy out of our lives and save some money. This week my focus was on a substitute for meatless meatballs.
Being part Sicilian I love a bit of substance with my pasta but I am sick of buying frozen soyballs. I wanted to make a soy free homemade version and I have finally done it!

I was bursting with joy last night after creating a recipe for what I am calling Sicilian round balls. I am not yet posting the recipe as I need to refine it a bit but I am thrilled to finally be able to rid myself of store bought, expensive, soy filled alternatives.

My husband and kids loved them. The real test will be my Italian mother. I called her up all excited last night and told her I thought my Gramma Grasso was smiling down from heaven.

They may not have been meat in my meatballs like she used to make but there sure was a ton of Sicilian passion and love.

1 comment:

Nuclear Mom said...

They look awesome! I will look forward to your recipe.