Tuesday, November 04, 2008



Well the time has come. Fresh pesto, salsa and tomato sauce have been packed away for yet another winter. My garden is cleaned up and prepped for many months of cold. My winter garlic has been planted. As I mourn the end of the growing season I look forward to the times of slowing down and shifting our diets. Tomorrow is the last pick up day at my CSA farm. The selection has been slowly shifting towards winter veggies. I am so lucky that it doesn't have to end though. The Intervale Community Farm CSA offers winter shares as well. Last year was the first year we participated. It is fairly new for them. The pick ups happen every two weeks and include veggies they have stored such as spinach, winter squash, potatoes, carrots, root veggies, garlic etc. You can also sign up for apple extras. There is nothing like getting Vermont grown veggies all year long.

It is a different way of eating though. For the most part I say goodbye to salads and other veggies that are getting shipped here from far away. I stick to the share I receive every other week and learn to cook in a whole new way.

Burlington is also lucky to have for the first time this year a winter farmers market.

The market will be held in Memorial Auditorium, 10am-2pm with the kick off
market November 22. The market will then continue on to the third Saturday
of each month from December through April (December 20, January 17, February
21, March 21, and April 18).

visit burlingtonfarmersmarket.org for more info on the winter farmers market

No comments: