Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Who knew?

I never imagined in a million years I would become an addict. A graham cracker addict that is. Graham crackers are the secret snack that many people do not know about. Low in fat but big on taste. It all started seconds after becoming a mom. After pushing for 5 hours to birth my first child I was exhausted and starving. The nurse brought me in a few packages of graham crackers from their kitchen. I had been on a strict diet with this pregnancy because I had gestational diabetes so these few graham crackers that I was now allowed was the sweetest thing I had put in my mouth in months.

I would not encounter the graham cracker again for a few years until Enzo grew older and started eating more snack foods. I started buying him a box or two as a treat. He ate very limited sugars growing up so like my first bite after giving birth these were a treat for him too. Our favorite brand was New Morning - no hydrogenated oils and sweetened with honey (you can find these in any health store) perfect I thought for my little guy. 4 years later I am still buying them. Enzo has sort of outgrown them though and I find that I am the main consumer these days. Because of this I have graduated to the cinnamon version which has just a touch of cinnamon and sugar on top.

1 comment:

john said...

everyone has to have a vice, i guess.