Monday, September 25, 2006

Harvest Moon



harvest moon is the full moon that occurs closest to the date of the autumn equinox in the Northern Hemisphere.

Harvest time is here. I love this time of the year. I love getting my yard ready for the upcoming winter months. I love fall vegetables, making chili and soup, drinking apple cider and crunching around in the leaves with my kids. Fall is a great time to get outside and into your community. It seems like the one time that most towns and cities offer a variety of community events. Harvest festivals, apple picking and Halloween events fill our newspaper. I wish I could do them all. This is the time of year for slowing down.

Being a vegetarian and whole foods advocate I tend to shop mostly at my local coop and farmers market. I am lucky to live in a state that has many wonderful local organic farms to buy from. Through our local farmers market all summer and fall and at our coop market in the winter months there is almost no reason to not get my produce there. Especially now. With the recent E Coli outbreak on the CA spinach I feel it is more of a reason to buy local and inseason produce as much as you can. Not only are locally grown vegetables healthier (they contain more vitamins and minerals because you are eating them at their freshest point) but they are also safer.

There is also something to be said for how people used to eat seasonal foods. People didn't have the option to eat lettuce in the winter months if they lived in a cold climate. Today however we are so used to going to the grocery store and buying what we want when we want it, but we don't stop to think at all how and where that food was grown.

This fall and winter I look forward to embracing the seasonal vegetables more, slowing down and enjoying this magical season.

For more info check out this wonderful new book Full Moon Feast:Food and Hunger Connection

2 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

Great picture!

I could nearly ditto your post, except for being vegetarian! ;) I am a huge advocate for buying and eating local. I love growing our own produce and buying at the Farmer's Market. We (ok Hans) has been so busy putting up food for the year. He made 26 servings of spaghetti sauce, 10 containers of green chili, and we made our own tomato sauce and canned it.

If you don't have a food dehydrator I seriously recommend it. We dry nectarines, tomatoes, make our own jerky (not that you would be interested there...), grapes... I love giving Leif dried fruit knowing that it has no additives.

rockergirrl said...

that is wonderful. Canning is one aspect of it I have not yet ventured into but I really want to try. Our garden did not produce enough this year.