Sunday, December 11, 2011

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

My kids have been begging me to make peanut butter cookies so we found a recipe, altered it a bit and made these this weekend.  They came out great.  Soft and moist, not hard and crumbly.  I cut back the sugar and chocolate chips from the original recipe because I like to be able to enjoy a few cookies without feeling like I'm on sugar overload.  I thought the original had an overwhelming amount of chocolate chips.  Plus I think they just taste better this way.  I decided to go with a vegan recipe because I could not stomach the amount of butter needed for the non-vegan recipes.  These are just as tasty and a little healthier for you.

This is my altered version.  I already cut down the sugar and chocolate chips below.


  • 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
  • 4 tablespoons safflower oil
  • 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup soymilk ( regular or vanilla flavored)
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 - 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 

    Directions:


    1. 1
      Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2. 2
      In a large mixing bowl, stir together first five ingredients.
    3. 3
      In a small bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, soda and salt.
    4. 4
      Stir into batter.
    5. 5
      Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
    6. 6
      Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet, or oil the baking sheet.
    7. 7
      Bake for 10 minutes or until set.
    8. 8
      Remove sheet from oven and let cool on tray for 5 minutes.

No comments: