Saturday, December 17, 2011

Handmade Holidays



The holidays make me think of being home and celebrating the day to day blessings I have with my family.  Like many families we are quite busy and I often feel like I'm not honoring the moments I have with them as much as I should.  I miss being home with them more so I have been trying harder to create special memories with them when I am home.  The holiday season brings up this desire even more.  So this year when it came time to think about giving something special to the wonderful teachers in our lives I decided it was time to get my hands dirty again and get crafting.  


 We decided to make peppermint bark this year.  This is a very simple project and there are lots of great recipes online for it.  We chose one that combined both dark and white chocolate.  I bought all the ingredients on my lunch break the other day along with some jelly jars to package the pieces up in.



 It all starts with good chocolate.  Personally I buy Ghiradelli for my cooking and the bags of chips happened to be on sale and so it was a better bargain than buying the bars.  I just placed a bowl of chips over a pot of boiling water (1 Bag) until the chips melted.  Once melted I added a teaspoon of peppermint extract and poured half of it into a small brownie pan lined with tin foil and the other half in a second pan also lined with tin foil.  Plop that in the fridge or freezer for about 20 minutes and wait.  Once hardened you can take it out, and after melting the white chocolate you can then pour the white over the dark, sprinkle on crushed candy canes and place back in freezer.



Once the chocolate is hard you can take it out, peel off the tin foil and chop it up or break it into pieces.



I chose to put our bark into jelly jars and tied some ribbon around them.  
It's easy, fun, tastes great and makes a wonderful handmade gift.

Yum.
I hope the teachers enjoy it.

2 comments:

Squeaky Gourmet said...

peppermint bark is my FAVORITE!!!!

Nuclear Mom said...

Oh you are so good! I sucked with teacher gifts this year... Starbucks gift cards all around. Now the preschool teachers all drop this hint to the kids and so when I ask what to get those teachers, my kids have always piped up, "they want Starbucks gift cards". Easy enough... Next year I vow to do something creative.