Thursday, August 28, 2008

1st day of 1st grade







Well I survived the first day of 1st grade. Yesterday my oldest son started school. There was a lot of excitement and nervousness in the air. We had been going to an alternative program at another school for Kindergarten but since there were going to be dismantling the program we decided to move him into our neighborhood elementary school for 1st grade. The best part about this new school is that we can walk or ride bikes! Drop off went well. JB came with me so we could all see him off together. He seemed to do fine until we got into his class line. All of a sudden I could see the look of fear on his face. I asked him if he was nervous and he gave me a quick nod of the head. I gave him one last hug, the bell rang, he went inside, and I cried. All in all he said he had a great day. When I asked him how recess went he said he had fun but that he didn't have anyone to play with. This broke my heart. All the kids already know each other because they went to Kindergarten together last year. So he is the new kid on the block. He had so many great friends at his last school I think it is hard for him to be on the outside now. So here we are on the second day. I am hoping he has better luck breaking into some friendship circles today.

We also had a preschool open house for Sal yesterday. That was quite exciting. I can't say that I was thrilled about the room. It was stark and cold but in their defense it is a brand new program at the school and this will be the first class so I know I need to give it some time. He starts up in a few weeks. He went zooming right off to play though. No shyness in that kid.

So all in all we survived the first day. Lots of paper work to fill out, new school handbooks to read and lots of prayers that everything goes well for him this year.

2 comments:

Nuclear Mom said...

Aww! He will fit in and find friends in no time! Great pictures of you and your sweet boys.

hk said...

oh your sweet boys! I can imagine that was harder for you. They both will do great, I am sure!